Friday 21 June 2013

Get your Armour on and hop along with Stampendous



Thank you so much for popping in today! I am awfully behind on my blog visits but I promise to catch up on them very soon!

Today I have a cupboard full of curiosities for you - quite literally. But more about that in a moment.

First things first. Today Stampendous gals are happily hopping along with their glass etching inspired art. This is part of this week's play with Stampendous rubber stamps and Armour Etch glass etching cream. In case you missed my previous project, with the cute little cottage chic bottles, be sure to have a peak here.

We'd be delighted if you'd like to hop along with us. More so as there are fabulous prizes that need a good home. Please be sure to let us know if you have a US address though, as these glass etching babies cannot be sent overseas.

OK, here we go. I found this little beauty recently in a charity shop. I must admit, I love visiting charity shops. You can often find there really quirky little gems, no longer loved by their owners, but perfect for creative endeavours. And they are usually inexpensive, making it feasible for a hobby crafter to shop, whilst still supporting a charitable cause. It's a win win situation, wouldn't you agree? So... this is my 'before' shot:

And this one is 'after'... :)


And here's how I etched the glass door of the cabinet. First of all, I asked my Hubster to take the door off the hinges for me. Then I masked off the door frame and a 5mm border all around the glass. Next step was to stamp the Leaf Sprig stamp and heat emboss it with Black embossing powder. And colour of the powder will do - this is just to create a resist/mask.


Now, it's time to etch - I left the cream on for five minutes. I didn't know that at the time I made this project, but the girls have suggested to use a scraper to smooth out the top surface of the cream coating. This will help to get the etching more consistent.


And here's my etched glass panel in it's full glory. Below you can see that where the embossing was thinner and not fully covered in powder, the cream seeped through and created a 'shaded' effect, which I really like. But if you are after solid unetched areas, after the first round of embossing you can add some Boss Gloss with a little brush to any missed areas and heat emboss again.



The front of the door was stamped with Elegant Borders and heat embossed with Gold Detail embossing powder. The individual shelves were also stamped with some cute little critters from the Critter Collection set. I also added some embossing enamel moulded dragonflies and flowers. Oh, and at the top I also added a couple of swirls from the Spanish Invite set, some Liquid Pearls and a little cameo.

To decorate the back of my cabinet I decoupaged a beautiful printed napkin with lovely dragonflies. I used Beacons Fast Finish as a decoupage and sealing medium.


And here's the back after distressing with a home made antique glaze (Fast Finish + grey/brown acrylic paint) and some additional stamping with Air Travel stamps.


The top was embellished with handmade felt roses and burlap leaves covered with a sprinkle of Shabby White enamel.


The shelves have been embellished with various lace spools and little vials full of colour fragments, sequins and beads.

Stamps list for UK's crafters:
Cling Leaf Sprig 
Perfectly Clear Elegant Borders 
Perfectly Clear Critter Collection
Perfectly Clear Air Travel
Perfectly Clear Spanish Invitation

And here's who's hopping today:
Stampendous blog
Asia King (yours truly)
Cyndi Bundy
Janelle Stollfus
Kristine Reynolds
Lea Kimmel
Tobi Crawford
Jamie Martin
Rhea Weigand
Etch Talk

Thank you again for popping in today and enjoy hopping along to see the rest of the beautiful etched gems!

Big hugs


35 comments:

Unknown said...

this is nice.. such a practical use and so pretty..
i love the shadow effect too

Joanna Wiśniewska said...

Asia, piekna komoda. Bardzo mi sie podoba :)

Terri Burnette said...

Oh my gosh!!! I own this! I have had this little curio for years (picked it up at a tag sale for $2). I love the etching on the glass. It will be perfect for our beachhouse with a bit of beachy stamping!! Thanks for sharing

Jamie Martin said...

Wow love, love, love your cupboard you did a fabulous job!! Can you please add my link to the blog list
http://stampthis.blogspot.com/2013/06/stamping-on-glass-and-etching.html Thanks :)

Dawn Louise said...

Gorgeous and so much lovely detail, can see the work you've put into your piece, lovely to see x

Kristine Reynolds said...

ummm....WOW....ya...that's it...WOW!

crealinedance said...

Hello mooi kastje .Gr.Nel

Iris said...

Hi from Missouri. This is gorgeous and so creative. What a lovely way to store spools of lace and other little bits.

Sue D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Inkypinkycraft said...

Tis is a gorgeous make and love what you have done with the faux etching! X

barbara macaskill said...

This is simply gorgeous! Love how you used the napkin and the finished product is divine! Thanks for sharing!

Jean Bullock said...

I love this! This is the kind of project that I am hoping to do. Great job, not only on the etching, but on the whole project.

Kathy said...

Fantastic transformation on your little cabinet. I love everything you did with it but especially the way you used the napkin. Kathy T in Minnesota.

Paper Profusion said...

Oh this looks fantastic Joanna - what a transformation! Love the way you have altered the wood etc as well as the glass. Gorgeously embellished. Nicola x

Mrs.B said...

Hi Joanna, What a fabulous alteration, love all the details and techniques.
Avril xx

Unknown said...

Hi Joanna

It has been noticed that you are tardy in your visits to the blogs ! ROFL! Bless you I am so grateful you visit mine at all! LOL! And thank you for your lovely comments when you do have time.

I am also so jealous I love looking round antique/junk /charity shops for things but since I took up minding the grandchildren three days a week it has been curtailed drastically! Still won't be for ever.

But what you have done is simply stunning! There is no other word for it you must be so proud of what you are able to achieve. I am proud of what I achieve but we are talking a different ball game here my lovely.

Crafty Hugs from a big admirer
Heather xxx

Amy Martin said...

Wow.. This is beautiful. I love all your details. I have always wanted to do etched glass. You have inspired me.

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning, stunning, stunning... and then you turn it round and that jaw-dropping dragonfly stuns you all over again!!
Alison x

Kailash said...

Breathtakingly beautful, love the soft colors that you chose for your project. That dragonfly is stunning, it looks so real:-)

Kailash said...

Sorry forgot to mention, I'm from Illinois!!

Janis said...

Amazing work!! Love how it turned out.

I am from Idaho in the USA!!!

Tenia Nelson said...

Gorgeous!!!

Sue D said...

What a wonderful transformation and I like the etched glass.
Sue in Ohio

Unknown said...

Wow! Looking at the before and after pics, this was quite a transformation! So many lovely little details going on here! I like the "shading where the etching cream seeped through also. How one little curio cabinet could have so Mich character is beyond me... But, this little cabinet definitely has lots now! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Oops! I'm Angel from Arkansas :)

Unknown said...

Yep, I really do love this! I keep coming back to it today. One of my all time favorite altered pieces.
-Angel from Arkansas

Janny Jager said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Joanna this is so fabulous.
Great details .
Love it very very much.
Greetings Janny

Unknown said...

This is stunning!

Barb Turpin said...

Such a marvelous job on the little cabinet, and I love all the little pretties.

Jenny Marples said...

What a transformation Joanna! LOVE that etched glass door and the gilded door frame. And then you make the back just as special! I'd need this on a revolve just to see it all. Hugs, Jenny x

Ros Crawford said...

WOW!!! This is just amazing!! oh Asia you really have done a beautiful job with this ... Every detail is gorgeous - the back looks beautiful!!
I must say ... I love charity shops too ...

Sonia said...

Just wonderful creation my dear friend^_^
Beautiful work and lovely embellishments^_^
Happy Sunday and big hug,
Sonia

Unknown said...

OMG.. What a fabulous project you have done. I LOVE the way this turned out. You are so talented my friend.

Hugs~

Mrs A. said...

A truly gorgeous transformation. The original oner would not recognise it now. Hugs Mrs a,

Janelle Stollfus said...

Asia!!!!! This is just jaw dropping to the earth's core AMAZING! You have totally become my new embossing and etching heroine! I'm swooning!

.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... All content, except where stated (including text, photographs and designs), is copyright of Asia King (Creative Spell Designs). I share my artwork for personal inspiration only. I don’t mind if you copy any of my designs for your own personal use, providing you give me credit by referring to my blog. You may not however copy my designs and photographs for contests and publications entries (online or otherwise) or to sell in either handmade or printed form. You may not copy my designs and photographs for advertising & commercial purposes, without my prior permission. Thank you for your understanding.
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

Craft Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory blog button flower Photobucket Crafty Blogs

Let's Tweet!

Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Under a creative spell, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena